
Adu Ares: "My case is a message for the youngsters coming through"
Adu Ares: "My case is a message for the youngsters coming through"
The winger is delighted to extend his stay at Athletic, something he "could never have imagined" when he arrived three years ago
Adu Ares reiterated that his progression since arriving at Athletic Club from Santutxu FC three years ago should provide a good example to the youngsters coming through Lezama at the moment.
On Thursday morning, the 22-year-old forward put pen to paper on a new deal which will keep him in Bilbao until June 2027.
"I'm very happy the club have chosen to place their trust in me with this renewal," Ares said about his new contract. "Now I have to repay that on the pitch by doing what I know how to do.
"I came from nothing, so to speak, and I've reached the first team in a very short time. It's a message for the youngsters coming through. I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me this would happen three years ago.
"Patxi Salinas is a big reason I'm here. He coached me at Basconia and gave me the confidence to play for Bilbao Athletic."
Ares is now in his second season with the first team, having made 13 appearances and scoring two goals so far.
He said: "It's normal and I understand that. There is a lot of competition in my position and the only thing I have to do is to be ready for when the coach needs me.
"My team-mates are playing at a very high level. But I'm grateful for that as means I have to demand more of myself and learn every day. They only make me improve."
Adu is confident the players can "bring the fans some joy" as we get set for Saturday's clash against Atlético Madrid, a day in which we will also see out our 125th anniversary celebrations.
He added: "They've proven that they're a tough rival. But we're confident in the dressing room. We're strong at home and are hoping to the make the fans happy on such an important day."
Related match
Athletic Club - Atlético de Madrid

