17 years ago today, on 30 March, Athletic Club Women played its first official match at San Mamés. On the 20th matchday of the 2002-03 season, the lionesses played at The cathedral for the first time, beating CF Puebla of Extremadura by five goals to one in front of no less than 23.000 spectators, and putting on track what would be their first Superliga title.
Two matchdays later, Athletic also played the last match of the season at The Cathedral against CD Hispalis (5-0), breaking the record of attendance to a women’s match (35.000 spectators) and celebrating their first league championship.
The lionesses have played a total of sixteen matches at San Mamés, including the European record for attendance at a women’s football match, with 48.121 spectators at a Copa match against Atlético Madrid last season:
- Athletic Club 5 – 1 CF Puebla (League) – 23.000 spectators – 03/30/2003.
- Athletic Club 5 – 0 Híspalis (League) – 35.000 spectators – 04/27/2003.
- Athletic Club 1 – 8 FFC Frankfurt (Champions) 10.000 spectators – 08/25/2003.
- Athletic Club 0 – 2 Torrejón (League) 20.000 spectators – 05/16/2004.
- Athletic Club 6 – 1 Sabadell (League) 10.000 spectators – 04/10/2005.
- Athletic Club 0 – 2 Levante UD (Cup) 7.000 spectators – 05/15/2005.
- Athletic Club 5 – 1 Atlético de Madrid (League) 18.000 spectators – 04/22/2007.
- Athletic Club 0 – 0 Torrejón (League) 25.000 spectators – 05/06/2007.
- Athletic Club 0 – 2 FC Barcelona (Cup) 30.000 spectators – 05/23/2010.
- Athletic Club 1 – 0 Arsenal Ladies (Friendly) 9.000 spectators – 01/05/2013.
- Athletic Club 1 – 2 FC Barcelona (League) – 26.000 spectators – 05/05/2013.
- Athletic Club 2 – 1 Fortuna Hjorring (Champions) – 9.000 spectators – 10/05/2016.
- Athletic Club 0 – 2 Atlético de Madrid (Copa) – 48.121 spectators – 01/30/2019.
- Athletic Club 2 – 0 Levante UD (League) – 24.986 spectators – 03/31/2019.
- Athletic Club 0 – 3 FC Barcelona (League) – 32.068 spectators – 01/05/2020.
- Athletic Club 1 – 0 CD Tacón (Cup) – 10.991 spectators – 02/26/2020.
Amaia Peña returns to Athletic
The goalkeeper from Portugalete returns to the red-and-white team after a successful experience in the United States and signs until 2022 with the first team
The Primera Iberdrola is officially over
The RFEF’s Sole Judge of Competition concludes the championship (with Athletic Club, in 5th position) with the classification existing at the time of the suspension
Tribute to Amaia Olabarrieta and Saioa González
Just four years ago today, both players, Amaia Olabarrieta and Saioa Gonzalez, officially said goodbye to the field
Three years since the farewell of three historic players
Three years ago today Eli Ibarra, Iraia Iturregi and Irune Murua received a tribute in Lezama to their long career at the club
2004: Two-time champions of the Super League
Today is the 16th anniversary of the celebration at San Mamés against Torrejón of the second consecutive league for a champion Athletic Club since the penultimate round
Women’s C will play in the Women’s Basque League
The young red-and-white team gets promoted after a season in which they have won all 22 of their league matches
The fourth Superleague in five years
On this day in 2007, the women’s team won its fourth league title, the third one at San Mamés with the red-and-white supporters
A cruel defeat to say farewell to old San Mamés
7 years ago tomorrow, FC Barcelona clinched the victory and the league title just before the old stadium was demolished
Unzué: “I think I can perform at a high level for two more years”
The player from Navarre has answered the questions both the media and her supporters asked her after her signing as a lioness was made official
The brace from Yulema Corres that carried closer to their last league title
It has been four years since the 3-1 win against Santa Teresa at Lezama, a great match with a brace from Yulema Corres