Athletic Club - Atlético de Madrid
Matchday 9

Athletic Club - Atlético de Madrid

Athletic Club
Athletic Club
Atlético de Madrid
Atlético de Madrid
  • Griezmann 47'

LocationSan Mamés , Bilbao

48.391 assistants

Unlucky loss against Atlético

A goal by Griezmann saw Athletic fall to an undeserved defeat at San Mamés

Athletic Club lost 0-1 to Atlético in a high-tempo match at San Mamés. An Antoine Griezmann strike was enough to see Diego Simeone's side take home all three points, although Athletic can count themselves unlucky to not come away with a draw. 

Raúl García, with a couple of chances, and Iñigo Martínez almost equalised, but Ivo Grbic, a substitute for the injured Jan Oblak, and a well-drilled Atletico defence prevented the Lions from picking up a point.

Atletico were as tough and compact as expected. And Athletic, in front of a 48,000 strong crowd at a rocking San Mamés, were not clinical enough in key moments.

Los Leones saw plenty of the ball and always had the iniative. Right at the start of the game, Iñaki Williams narrowly missed with a header from an Iker Muniain's free-kick.

Atletico's first warning came in the ninth minute. Álvaro Morata thought he had put the visitors 0-1 up, before VAR disallowed the goal for a foul on Yeray during a tussle between the two in the build-up.

It wasn't until the second half that the game really took off. Atlético struck early on, Antoine Griezmann with a right-footed finish after being set up by Morata.

Los Leones gave it their all as they searched for an equaliser. Oscar de Marcos got a header in the box not long before Jan Oblak came off with a shoulder injury.

Subsitute Raúl García was at the back post to get a head to Yeray's cross in the 85th minute, but Grbic kept it out with a full-stretch save. 

Athletic then had a succession of chances in the 88th minute. Iñigo Martínez had a header blocked by the visiting goalkeeper, then Oier Zarraga's shot was blocked by a defender, Dani Vivian thought he had won a penalty when his effort smashed into Reinildo, but a VAR check made it clear the ball had struck the Mozambican's face, not his arm.

The last charge came in the fifth minute of stoppage time. Raúl García thought he was in at the far post, but Reinildo slid in to deny the 35-year-old his moment of glory.

Now the Lions will have to pick themselves up and dust themselves down, in 72 hours they go to battle again in Getafe.